Can Child Support Be Modified in New Jersey?

child support

I often get asked the question “how do we change child support?” or “how do I either have it increased or decreased?” In the state of New Jersey, you must show a viable change in circumstance in order to get child support changed. Simply being terminated from a job for a short period of time does not qualify in the court’s eyes as a change in circumstances. However, having another child, having a medical condition, going on disability or things of that nature, do qualify as a change of circumstance. I often suggest to people that before you go and file a motion and perhaps not have the judge look at you favorably, that you consult with an attorney to discuss whether a motion to either increase or decrease child support would be in your best interest.

The law firm of Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C., is composed of experienced divorce attorneys in the state of New Jersey. Please contact the office for a free initial consultation and get any questions answered.