What do I do if my Tenant breaches a lease?


  • Breach of lease is handled similarly to non-payment of rent. The only difference is the letter required gives seven days notice to the tenant to fix the problem, or else you will go to court to seek possession of the unit.
  • The letter must be specific as to what provision of the lease or the code was breached and must indicate that the tenant has seven days to resolve the problem.
  • If the tenant does not solve the problem, you may file for possession with the Justice of the Peace court.
  • If you have any questions about what happens when a tenant breaches a particular provision of your lease, please contact your landlord/tenant attorney.