What can I do if I slipped and fell on a commercial property?

During the cold winter months, New Jersey roads are slicked with ice and snow. Driveways need to be shoveled to let cars travel in and out. Roads need to be plowed to allow for drivers to continue making their way to different places. Sidewalks need to be salted to stop those walking from slipping and falling. If these conditions were not tended to, it would make it difficult to travel, whether it was by foot or by car. If you were walking to the store and fell outside their property due to their lack of maintenance, you can take legal action against the owner.

As a victim of a slip and fall accident, you have the right to seek legal counsel to pursue a case against another party. In the state of New Jersey, homeowners have the responsibility of keeping their premises safe. When businesses are involved, commercial properties have even more of a responsibility to keep their property safe. Since businesses, such as stores, attract customers, the customer is there for the benefit of the store owner, making the owners liable for conditions at their store.

What does the process of pursuing legal action include?

If you believe an outside party has been negligent and you suffered from a fall, you may be entitled to compensation. In New Jersey, you have a two-year statute of limitation when involving accidents with personal injuries. This means that you will have two years to file a lawsuit in connection with the accident. After that period of time, you may not be eligible to file a lawsuit.

When dealing with personal injury accidents, our legal team has years of experience. We can help provide the representation you need to assist you in seeking compensation for your medical bills and other expenses.

What is the Tort Claims Act?

The Tort Claims Act governs over personal injury accidents that involve a political entity, such as a state, county, or municipality. This act requires that you put that entity on notice of your accident within about 90 days. The time frame may vary. The period of time can be extended on certain occasions. However, courts may not grant this extension since they are paying out of tax money and feel that they need to protect taxpayer money as best as possible.

If you file a tort claim within the correct period of time, you then have two years from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit for your slip and fall accident. The lawsuit is then handled like it would be for any other private entity. Some standards may be different, but overall the process is similar.

To find out more about what you can do in your situation, contact our professionals for advice. We can give you the guidance you need to take action.

The experienced attorneys at Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C., are well versed in handling a variety of cases within the state of New Jersey. Contact our firm for your free initial consultation and have any questions answered.