Will my child’s IEP or Section 504 Plan apply to her on SAT exams?

  • As a special needs child reaches high school age, parents must make sure that the required accommodations are going to be applied for their PSATs and SATs.
  • It’s not an automatic right that whatever is in your 504 Plan or in your IEP is going to be applied to SATs or PSATs, but many of those services should and will be provided.
  • Schools are supposed to take care of most of that for you. Sometimes they forget, so it’s important for parents to start asking these questions a year before the SATs or PSATs are going to be scheduled, because there are some time issues involved for the SAT people to actually agree to the accommodations.
  • Parents can contact those services themselves but should push the schools to do it.
  • You may want to contact an experienced attorney to guide you and to ensure that the appropriate accommodations are made.