How Is Divorce Commenced?

A divorce is commenced by filing a complaint for divorce. You file a complaint for divorce, which gets filed with the court. Upon receiving it back, the filed court form, it then gets served upon your spouse. It normally is served through a process server, but it can be done through mail so long as your spouse accepts receipt of that and then provides you with proof that they’ve received that complaint for divorce. Once it’s filed with the court, it gets served upon the spouse and then the divorce proceedings start. I suggest that if that’s the route you’re going to go – you’re going to file a complaint – you at least consult with an attorney to understand your rights.

The law firm of Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C., is composed of experienced divorce attorneys in the state of New Jersey. Please contact the office for a free initial consultation and get any questions answered.