How can I enforce a child support order in NJ?

Matters of child support are taken very seriously in New Jersey and throughout the country. In fact, there are organizations that work with each state to make sure every parent who is obligated to make child support payments does so. Parents who fail to make these payments are facing serious repercussions. If your child’s other parent is supposed to be paying child support each month but has failed to do so, there are ways to hold them accountable for their neglect.

Enforcing child support orders is important in New Jersey to make sure the non-custodial parent is contributing to the expenses that are associated with being the custodial parent of a child. If your child’s other parent isn’t making the payments they are supposed to, you can contact a family law attorney or The NJ Child Support Agency who can assist you in working with the court to enforce this order. In New Jersey, child support payments are monitored to ensure all obligated parties are making the necessary payments.

There are a number of measures that can be taken to enforce a court order. New Jersey courts can go as far as to issue a warrant for the arrest of a person who continuously fails to make obligatory payments. Other options that may be considered prior to the issue of a warrant can include withholding the non-custodial parent’s income, seizure of money in certain bank accounts, driver’s license suspension, and more. If a court needs to hear the case, they may demand that the non-custodial parent makes up any missed payments immediately and/or pay a certain amount on top of the back payments. If these payments are not made, the court may issue a warrant for arrest.

If you need help enforcing a child support order in New Jersey, contact our firm today.

The law firm of Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C., is composed of experienced attorneys throughout the states of New Jersey and Delaware. Please contact the office for a free initial consultation and get any questions answered regarding your specific case.