Regardless of the nationwide shift in perspective towards the drug, the recreational use, sale, or cultivation of marijuana is illegal in New Jersey. If you are now facing a marijuana charge, please read on and speak with one of our seasoned attorneys to learn more about what you can do.
What are the penalties for marijuana possession in New Jersey?
If you are caught in the possession of marijuana in New Jersey, you can expect more than a simple “slap on the wrist.” The number one mistake people make is underestimating marijuana possession charges. Do not be one of those people. If you are caught in the possession of marijuana, here are some of the consequences you may face:
- 50 grams or less: Up to 6 months in jail, $1,000 fine
- More than 50 grams: Up to 1.5 years in jail, $25,000 fine
What happens if I am caught selling marijuana in New Jersey?
The penalties for selling marijuana in New Jersey are very serious, all of which having the potential to land you in jail. You may face the following penalties for the sale or distribution of marijuana in New Jersey:
- Less than 1 ounce: Up to 1.5 years in jail, $25,000 fine
- More than 1 ounce, but less than 5 pounds: Up to 5 years in jail, $25,000 fine
- Between 5 pounds and 25 pounds: Up to 10 years in jail, $150,000 fine
- More than 25 pounds: Between 10 and 20 years in jail, $300,000 fine
- If you are caught distributing marijuana within 1000 feet of a school or school bus: Between 3 and 5 years in jail, $150,000 fine
Make no mistake, if you are caught selling marijuana in the state of New Jersey, you will need an experienced attorney who can defend you from your criminal charges.
What are the consequences of growing marijuana in New Jersey?
The consequences of the cultivation of marijuana are as follows:
- For growing 1 ounce, but less than 5 pounds (or less than 10 plants): Between 3 and 5 years incarceration, $25,000 fine
- For growing 5 pounds, though less than 25 pounds (or 10, but less than 50 plants): Between 5 and 10 years incarceration, $150,000 fine
- For growing more than 25 pounds, or 50+ plants: Between 10 and 20 years incarceration, $300,000 fine
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
The law firm of Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C., is composed of experienced defense attorneys throughout the state of New Jersey. We understand the severity and immediacy of all personal injury claims and additional legal matters, and we provide each of our clients with compassionate and aggressive legal assistance, every step of the way. Please contact our office for a free initial consultation and get any questions answered regarding your legal case.